Update on our Coronado campus
Transforming our blacktop into an oasis of outdoor recreation and play space!
Designed by CWC Silver Lake parents and the same architects as our building, this new space for our TK-5 students will include:
- A play structure for students to engage in outside movement activities
- Multiple handball courts (a favorite among students)
- A full basketball court
- Space for multiple volleyball courts
- Other outside play zones for foursquare, outside play blocks and more
- Multiple areas for outside gardens, so that students can engage in hands-on science instruction
- Steps that can double as an amphitheater to enable outside speakers and performances
- Trees, grass and other natural plantings that reflect our environment
- Outside lighting to support outside play for the after school program
- Sufficient space to maintain our on-site drop-off/pick-up process
Children greatly benefit developmentally from being able to learn and play outdoors. Studies have shown that students who have access to an outdoor learning and play space develop a sense of self, independence, confidence, creativity, decision-making and problem-solving skills, empathy towards others and their environment, motor skills, self-discipline and initiative. Our new outdoor play space will greatly support these skills in our children and CWC’s unique learning model.
We hope to complete construction in summer 2022. Look for more updates soon!
A permanent home for our middle school program!
Building a new facility in the heart of Filipinotown
Designed by the same architects as our Silver Lake elementary school, some highlights include:
- Close proximity to CWC Silver Lake Elementary, making drop-off easy for families, creating a strong CWC Silver Lake TK-8th grade community, and enabling opportunities for connections between our older and younger students;
- A campus designed with our middle schoolers in mind, complete with a courtyard, outside lunch area and numerous places for students to gather and socialize (very important for middle schoolers!);
- Space for a full outside basketball court so that CWC can host home basketball games;
- Spacious lobby for gathering and welcoming students, caregivers and community members;
- Thoughtful library space customized with books appropriate for the age and interests of middle schoolers;
- Gender neutral private restroom stalls to ensure that all students feel they belong;
- Arts, theater, STEM, and other enrichment classrooms;
- A science lab;
- On-site parking for staff;
- And more!
While we are still relatively early in the design process, we anticipate that the project will be completed as early as winter of the 2023-24 school year. Once the plans are completed, we will hold a community-wide town hall to discuss the project, design, timelines and more. Please stay tuned!
CWC Silver Lake Capital Campaigns
Be a part of our journey!
CWC Silver Lake plans to launch formal Capital Campaigns to help fundraise for the outdoor playspace at the Coronado campus and the new middle school facility. We are looking for supporters to join us in raising funds needed to make this project a reality. If you or someone you know might want to support this exciting endeavor, please contact Stacy Koch, CWC LA’s Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.